When and Where?

Welcome to the Animals Reading Group!

The next meeting will be at The Wig and Pen at 3pm on Saturday the 17th of December.

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Coetzee and the Year to Come

Hey All,

I've talked to a few people that have been to past gatherings and that’d like to come to the next one, about when would be a good time. And so far Saturday afternoon is looking good. Because the ANUSA Student space is closed over the summer holidays, we’ll have to gather elsewhere. I would suggest meeting outdoors somewhere, but we have threats of rain for Saturday, so I thought a good place to meet would be the Wig and Pen. It shouldn’t be too busy in the afternoon.

So, 3pm at the Wig and Pen, unless anyone has any objections to that plan (Saturday's pretty close so I thought I should be pretty unequivocal... sorry, it's crap and we'll try and avoid t in the future). Probably at one the big tables at the back.

So as you probably know already, the reading we’ve set is J.M. Coetzee’s The Lives of Animals (link over on the right). However, I think that these summer holiday meetings would be a great opportunity to have some thorough and explicit discussions of what this group can/should: do, be and become over the coming year. I think discussing a bit of both (Coeztee and the year to come [GOOD TITLE, I’ll use it]) would be great… I feel that there’s something about the scope, and um… something else I can’t nail now, of the Coetzee lecture that lends it to a broad and sweeping discussion of Animals; the many different ways we’ve thought about them in the past (and some hinted at, and seemingly contradictory, suggestions about how we should think about them).

That’s that!
‘Til Saturday: Stay Gold

Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment